Primary Years Programme
The Primary Year Programme (PYP) is designed for students between the ages of 3 and 12 years. It is an international transdisciplinary programme designed to foster the development of the whole child, not just in the classroom but also through other means of learning. The PYP focuses on the total growth of the developing child, touching hearts as well as minds, and encompassing social, physical, emotional and cultural needs in addition to academic welfare.
An introduction to the programme can be found here.
Click here for the PYP General Regulations.
The PYP combines the best research and practice from a range of national systems with a wealth of knowledge and experience from international schools to create a relevant and engaging educational framework for all children.
Through the PYP Wales Street Primary School aims to foster the following attributes in our students.
THE LEARNER PROFILE
We want our students to be:
The Primary Years Programme offers a comprehensive approach to teaching and learning. It provides a complete curriculum model, which incorporates guidelines on what students should learn, as well as guidelines on teaching methodologies, student led conferencing and assessment strategies.
Your child will:
- Develop a deep understanding of important concepts such as. Form, Function, Causation, Change, Connection, Perspective, Responsibility and Reflection.
- Develop a feeling for, to value and demonstrate a range of attitudes such as Appreciation, Commitment, Confidence, Cooperation, Creativity, Curiosity, Empathy, Enthusiasm, Independence, Integrity, Respect and Tolerance.
- Conduct research into knowledge which has local and global significance
- Acquire and practise a range of essential skills towards learning, the environment, other people and international mindedness.
- Have the opportunity for involvement in responsible action and social service.
The PYP promotes the use of a range of assessment strategies which are designed to give a clear picture of your child’s progress.
This progress will be reported to you regularly, both orally and in writing through three way conferences, reports and your child’s Portfolio
Wales Street Primary School is committed to structured purposeful inquiry, which engages students actively in their learning. Teachers are provided with regular collaborative planning sessions, which in turn provide a more coherent programme
The school has developed a whole school Programme of Inquiry which provides units of work at each year level. Teachers have attended the PYP training programme and continue to take part in ongoing professional development.
Learning is a partnership between the student, parent and the school.
You can help your child by:
- Maintaining regular contact with the school
- Sharing books with your child
- Supporting your child’s mother tongue
- Assisting your child with research
- Attend information sessions and parent/teacher interviews at school
- Provide an appropriate setting
If you have any further questions you will find that school staff are only too willing to discuss the PYP curriculum with you. Please talk to your child’s teacher or the PYP Coordinator:
Wales Street Primary School
Tel: 03 9484 3949