At Wales Street Primary School we believe that everyone has:
- The right to feel safe and comfortable
- The right to learn without distraction
These two rights guide our behaviour management processes both in the classroom and in the playground.
You Can Do It!
You Can Do It! Education’s main purpose is to support communities, schools and homes in a collective effort to optimise the social, emotional, and academic outcomes of all young people.
Its unique contribution is in identifying the social and emotional capabilities that all young people need to acquire in order to be successful in school, experience wellbeing, and have positive relationships including making contributions to others and the community (good citizenship).
YCDI’s mission is to realise, through the following beliefs and actions:
- The building of social, emotional, and motivational capacity of young people rather than on their problems and deficits.
- The encouragment of prevention, promotion, and intervention efforts (school, home and community) in order to build the social and emotional strengths of young people.
- The development of a strength-building approach, where YCDI seeks to build the capabilities of adults (community, school, home) associated with positive outcomes in young people.
The 5 Keys of YCDI! Education
Our core purpose is the development of young people’s social and emotional capabilities, including:
- Confidence (academic, social)
- Getting Along, and
Included in our core purpose is the elimination of social and emotional difficulties and disabilities (“Blockers”) that constitute barriers to young people’s learning and well-being, including:
- Feeling Very Worried
- Feeling Very Down
- Not Paying Attention or Disturbing Others, and
- Feeling Very Angry or Misbehaving.
This approach includes positive, caring relationships with young people.
However, it is clear that in order to change the developmental trajectory of young people with poor mental health (emotional, social and behavioural challenges) and learning outcomes and to accelerate their social and emotional development, it is vital that schools, homes and communities be transformed so that the responsibility for supporting and educating, including quality social and emotional learning experiences and caring relationships, is shared throughout the community.